Friday, December 14, 2012

Why I Just Became a Fan of RGIII


I don't watch as much of the NFL as I once did. It lacks sportsmanship to the degree that it has become offensive. As well, the commentators on television are insufferable most of the time and the referees now think their role is to showcase their amateur body building. However, I have a reason to cheer, RGIII.

Robert Griffin III is the Heisman winning QB from Baylor who is in his rookie year as the QB for the Washington Redskins. And he is black. So?

Right, so what? Well, another black man is concerned that RGIII is not "down for the cause" and that he is not "one of us". That black man is named Rob Parker who works as an sports commentator at ESPN. Recently he voiced concerns about RGIII's blackness. 

You can read about it here. Rob Parker has been suspended indefinitely.

I am less concerned about Parker's just suspension than that I am impressed with the response by  father, RG II who responded to this and whose comments can be understood to be shared by his son. This is one of the best approaches to one's racial properties I have come across in some time, particularly for someone who is black and is constantly pressured to engaged in racial narcissism to compensate for being a minority. Here is the article with the response and some quotes from it:
"He needs to define what 'one of us' is. That guy needs to define that," he said. "I wouldn't say it's racism. I would just say some people put things out there about people so they can stir things up.
"Robert is in really good shape on who he is, where he needs to get to in order to seek the goals he has in life ... so I don't take offense."

During his weekly news conference Wednesday, Griffin III said he didn't want to be defined by race.
"You want to be defined by your work ethic, the person you are, your character, your personality," he said. "I am an African-American in America. But I don't have to be defined by that."
That is right, it is part of him but is not what defines him, something greater defines him. 

2 comments:

Sergius Martin-George said...

But what if it turns out that RGIII is Reformed? Then what?

Alex Guggenheim said...

Too funny.